7.01 State Traffic Laws Adopted
7.02 Official Traffic Map
7.03 Parking Restrictions
7.04 Speed Limits
7.05 Operation or Parking for Advertising Prohibited
7.06 Removal of Illegally Parked Vehicles
7.08 Official Traffic Signs and Signals
7.09 Parking Meters
7.10 Blocking Railroad Crossings Prohibited
7.11 Motorized Vehicles in City Parks Prohibited
7.12 Passing on Right Prohibited
7.13 Improper Operation of a Motor Vehicle
7.14 Use of In-Line Skates Regulated
TRAFFIC CODE 7.01
7.01 STATE TRAFFIC LAWS ADOPTED
7.02 OFFICIAL TRAFFIC MAP. (1) Through streets, stop signs, yield right-of-way signs, one-way streets, prohibited U-turns and parking restrictions shall be shown on an official traffic map on file in the office of the Police Department, which map is adopted as part of this section. Failure to observe the restrictions shown on such map shall be a violation of this chapter. The Council may, from time to time, make additions to or deletions from such traffic map. The Chief of Police shall cause all such additions to or deletions from such map to be made.
(2) TURN LANES. Left Turn Only Lane. (Am. #8-89) (a) The easterly southbound lane on South Main Street from a point 264' north of its intersection with Dane Street, south to said intersection.
7.03 PARKING RESTRICTIONS. (Rep. & Recr. #13-84) (1) WINTER PARKING. (Am. #17-87)(Am. #12-95) On all streets in the City from December 1 through March 31, excepting on those streets and areas where parking is prohibited between 2 a.m. and 6 a.m. or within a limited parking zone (which shall include designated 30 minute, one hour and 2 hour parking areas) between the hours of 9 a.m. and 5 p.m., parking shall be permitted on one side of the street only with vehicles to be parked on the even days of the month on the side of the street which has even house numbers and on the odd days of the month on the side of the street that has odd house numbers. The day shall commence at noon and continue for 24 hours thereafter.
(2) LIMITED PARKING (a) Thirty Minute Parking. (Cr. #8-86)
S. Center Ave., east side, from the centerline of E. Linden Dr. to a point 130' north.
Wisconsin Drive, from a point 15' from the north right-of-way line of W. Milwaukee St., north 40'. (Cr. #7-87)
East side of South Center Avenue from a point 15 feet south from the southeast corner of the intersection with E. Linden Drive, south 50 feet. (Cr. #11-93)
(b) One Hour Parking. (Cr. #11-86)
Wisconsin Dr., eastside, from a point 582' south of the centerline of W. Milwaukee St. south 36'
(c) Two Hour Parking. (Am. #12-93) No vehicle shall be parked for more than 2 consecutive hours between the hours of 9 a.m. and 5 p.m., Monday through Friday, except as otherwise stated:
1. On the following streets and portions thereof:
E. Milwaukee St., north and south sides of the 100 block from Main to Center Street.
E. Racine St., north and south side of the 100 block from Main to Center St.
Linden Dr., north side, from Main St. to Gardener Ave. (Cr. #10-85)
Linden parking lot, 6 most northerly parking spaces located adjacent to the Municipal Building. (Cr. #10-85)
Main St., east and west side, from Mechanic to Dodge Street.
Milwaukee St. parking lot.
N. Main St. parking lot. (131 N. Main St.) between Eiffler Alley and N. Main St. (Am. #22-90)
N. Main St. parking lot (117 N. Main St.) (Am. #22-90)
S. Center Ave., west and east sides of the 100 block from Racine to Milwaukee Street.
TRAFFIC CODE 7.03(2)(c)1.-cont.
S. Center Ave., east side, from the south right-of-way line of E. Dodge St., running south 76'. (Cr. #5-92)
S. Main St. parking lot, except the four most easterly parking stalls. (Cr. #25-87; Am. #18-96)
S. Whitewater Ave., west side, from a point 15' north of the north right-of-way line of E. Linden Ave., north 63'. (Cr. #17-87)
W. Dodge St., north and south side of the 100 block.
The first three parking spaces on the northeast side of East Linden Avenue, east from the intersection of Center Street. (Cr. #2-95)
W. Linden Drive, south side, from the west right-of-way of South Main Street west 125 feet (Cr. #27-96)
Along South Center Avenue, west side, from a point 110 feet south of the south right-of-way of East Dodge Street and extending south 185 feet to the Court House access across from East Linden Drive. (Am. #11-98)
(d) Fifteen Minute Parking. (Cr. #9-89) The north side of W. Walworth St. from a point 8' from the west right-of-way line of S. Main St. west 49'.
East side of South Sanborn Avenue from a point 15 feet north of the north right-of-way line of E. Dodge Street to a point 125' north between the hours of 7:30 a.m. and 4:30 p.m. school days only. (Cr. #14-93)
(e) Two Hour Parking. No vehicle shall be parked for more than two consecutive hours between the hours of 7 a.m. and 5 p.m., Monday through Friday, except as otherwise stated:
North side of W. Plymouth from the west side of the Railroad tracks to Garity Street, and on the east and west sides of Garity Street from W. Plymouth Street to Ruth Drive. (Cr. #5-93)
2. The prohibitions in sub-par. (a) above shall not apply on Saturday, Sunday, New Years Day, Memorial Day, Thanksgiving Day, 4th of July, Labor Day and Christmas Day.
3. The penalty for violating this subsection shall be $2. If this forfeiture is not paid within 10 days from the issuance of the citation, the penalty shall be $5. If this forfeiture is not paid within 30 days of the issuance of the citation, the forfeiture shall be not less than $45 nor more than $200.
(3) PERPENDICULAR PARKING. (Ren. MSC '85; Cr. #9-78). Parking motor vehicles, except motorcycles, in diagonal or perpendicular parking stalls shall be such that the front of the vehicle shall be closest to the curb or parking aid and the rear of the vehicle closest to the traveled portion of the street or parking lot.
(4) NO PARKING. (a) No Person shall park any motor vehicle on any street in the City for a period of more than 48 consecutive hours. (Ren. MSC '85)
(b) No person shall park any motor vehicle in off-street parking lot owned or controlled by the City for a period of more than 48 consecutive hours. (Cr. #19-84)
TRAFFIC CODE 7.03(4)(c)-cont.
consecutive hours. Trailers so parked in the street shall have a three foot plank placed under the dolly wheels and the wheels shall be chucked. (Am #13-89)
(d) No person shall park any motor vehicle or trailer on any tree lawn within the street right-of-way, except upon an established driveway. (Cr. #19-84)
(e) The following shall be posted as "No Parking on School Days; 7:30 a.m. to 4:30 p.m.:
The south side of W. Milwaukee St. from 591' from the centerline of Taft Ave. at its intersection with W. Milwaukee St., (the east driveway of West Elementary School) to S. Taft Ave. at its intersection with W. Milwaukee St., " (Cr. #22-84)
The east side of South Sanborn Avenue from a point 140' north of the north right of way line of E. Dodge Street thence running north to a point 150' south of the south right-of-way line of E. Racine Street.
The east side of the 100 Block of South Marshall Avenue. (#35-97)
(f) No person shall leave unattended on any street or in any public parking lot a motor vehicle with its engine running. For the purpose of this subsection, a vehicle is deemed to be unattended if the operator is not present for a period of 10 consecutive minutes. (Cr. # 13-85)
(g) No person shall park any motor vehicle or trailer on the north side of E. John St. in the first block east of S. Main St. (Ren. MSC '86; Cr. #14-85)
(h) No person shall at any time park on any of the following: (Am. #1-88, #2-88, #3-88, #7-88, #27-97, #7-98)
South side of West Plymouth Street from the Railroad tracks to the North entrance of Schweiger Industries. (Cr. #5-93)
E. Racine St., south side, from the centerline on S. Dewey to a point 126' west.
Garland St., south side., from the right-of-way line of S. Main St. west 59'.
Main St., east side, from E. Woolcock St. north to E. Puerner St. (Cr. #4-92)
Main St., west side, from a point 4' south of the driveway located at 609 North Main Street to Puerner Street (Cr. #4-92)
N. Dewey Ave., east side, from the right-of-way line of E. Racine St. north 52'.
N. Pleasant St., east side, from North St. to Clark St. (Cr. #18-90)
Riverview Dr., north side, from a point 308' from the right-of-way line of S. Main St. west 206'.
S. Center Ave., west side from the north right-of-way line of E. Washington St. Running north 165'. (Cr. #5-92)
S. Main St., east side, from a point 168' south of the right-of-way line of Dane St. south 44'.
S. Main St., west side from Walworth St. south 480'. (Cr. #8-89)
S. Main St., west side, from its intersection with Plymouth St., north to the Main St. Bridge. (Cr. #5-90)
S. Wilson Ave., west side, from its intersection with Racine St. south to its intersection with E. Linden Dr. from April 1 through September 30.
W. Riverview Dr., south side, from its intersection with Main St. west to the tracks of the Chicago Northwestern Railroad. (Cr. #17-89)
W. Short St., south side, from a point 60' from the east right-of-way line of N. High Ave. east 24'.
TRAFFIC CODE 7.03(4)(h)-cont.
W. Short St., south side, from a point 145' from the east right-of-way line of N. High Ave. east 20'.
Wisconsin Dr., west side, from a point 146' to a point 187' south of the south right-of-way line of West. Linden Drive (Cr. #5-91)
South side of West Plymouth Street from Railroad tracks to North entrance of Schweiger Industries. (Cr. #5-93)
West side of Watertown Avenue from the south property line of 711 North Watertown Avenue to the South property line of 900 North Watertown Avenue extended west. (Cr. #9-94)
Both sides of South Highway 26 from the Rock River Bridge to Collins Road except from Truman Street north 300 feet. (Cr. #10-94)
South Center Avenue north from the County Courthouse parking lot exit-one stall. (Cr. #3-95)
Wisconsin Drive, west side, from the South right-of-way of West Linden Drive south 54 feet. (#17-96)
Wisconsin Drive, west side, from a point 149 feet south of the south right-of-way of West Ryder Street, south 50 feet. (#17-96)
Collins Road, south side, from the west right-of-way of South Main St., to the east right-of-way of Ryan Road (#2-97)
Collins Road, south side, from the east right-of-way of South Main St., east 35 feet; (#2-97)
Collins Road, north side, from the west right-of-way of South Main St., west 193 feet (#2-97)
Collins road, north side, from the east right-of-way of South Main Street, east to CTH K. (#2-97)
One parking stall in the South Main Parking Lot, which is 95' to 105'east of the South Highway 26 east right-of-way line. (#27-97)
West Racine Street beginning 9 feet east of the east property line of 711 W. Racine Street and extending 75 feet to the west driveway. (#7-98)
East Puerner St., south side, from the east right-of-way of North Main St., to the east right-of-way of Rail Street; (#12-98)
West Puerner St., south side, from the west right-of-way of North Main St., to the west right of way of N. Watertown Avenue extended; (#12-98)
East Puerner Street, north side, from the east right-of-way of North Main St., to the east right of way of the Union Pacific Railroad Company; (#12-98)
West Puerner St., north side, from the west right-of-way of North Main Street, to the west right-of-way of N. Watertown Avenue; (#12-98)
North Main Street, east side, from the north right-of-way of E. Puerner Street, north 75 feet (#12-98)
North Main Street, west side, from the north right-of-way of W. Puerner Street, north 150 feet. (#12-98)
(i) No person shall park any motor vehicle between the hours of 2 a.m. and 6 a.m. on the following streets: (Cr. #16-86)
Center Ave., from E. Washington St. to Mechanic St.
Dodge St., from Gardener St. to South Center Ave.
E. Milwaukee St., from Main St. to South Center Ave.
TRAFFIC CODE 7.03(4)(i)
Gardener St., from Milwaukee St. to Dodge St.
Main St., from Mechanic St. to Dodge St.
Mechanic St., both sides, except the part of the north side presently posted for "no parking"
Racine St., from Main St. to S. Whitewater Ave.
S. Main St. parking lot during the period of November 1 through April 1. (Cr. #25-87)
W. Milwaukee St., from Wisconsin Dr. to the old bridge.
(j) No person shall park a motor vehicle with a combination vehicle load weight exceeding 8,000 lb. gross in any block on any street where single or multifamily housing is present on the ground floor level of any structure on either side of the street except for the purposes of obtaining orders from or moving or delivering supplies or commodities to or from a place of business or residence which has an entrance onto the street in such block. (Cr. #4-87)
(k) The east side of South Main Street, from extension of the centerline of West Linden Drive north 40' and south 70' is hereby designated as a no parking zone. (Cr. #7-87)
(l) (Cr. 19-95; Repealed #14-96)
(m) No person shall at any time park on any bridge located within the corporate limits of the City (Cr. #10-90)
(n) No person shall park a motor vehicle on the north and south sides of E. Milwaukee St. running from the intersection of E. Milwaukee St. and Center Street, to a distance 28' from the alley running westerly, from November 1 through March 31. (Cr. #16-91)
(o) The following streets shall be posted as "No Parking on School Days; 7:00 am to 9:00 am.."
The west side of South Copeland Avenue from its intersection with West Racine Street south to its intersection with Ryder Street (Cr. #13-94)
(p) No Parking from April 1 to December 1. No person shall park any motor vehicle between the dates of April 1 and December 1 on the following streets: (Cr. 17-95; Rep. & Recr. #14-96; Am. #13-98)
The west side of North Center Avenue from its intersection with Mechanic Street, north to its intersection with E. North Street.
The west side of South Fischer Avenue from its intersection with Racine Street, south to its intersection with Spring Street.
The east side of North Dewey Avenue, from its intersection with Racine Street north to the southerly border of the Union Cemetery.
(5) HANDICAP PARKING. (Cr. #10-85) Parking of vehicles in spaces so designated shall be restricted to those vehicles displaying special identification cards or license plates as provided for in (SS) 343.51 and 346.505, WI Stats.
(a) Handicapped parking spaces shall be designated at the following locations:
1. The first space at the northwest corner of the Milwaukee St. parking lot. (Am. #2-86)
2. The 2 most northerly spaces in the Linden parking lit adjacent to the Municipal Building. (Cr. #6-88)
3. The 2 most easterly spaces in the lower level of the Gardener St. parking lot adjacent to the Municipal Building.
(b) The penalty for violating this subsection shall be $60.
TRAFFIC CODE 7.03(6)
(6) RESTRICTED PARKING FOR POLICE SQUADS ONLY (Cr. #10-85) No vehicle, except an authorized police squad, shall be parked in the most southerly space in the Linden parking lot adjacent to the Municipal Building. The penalty for violating this subsection shall be $5. If not paid within 5 days, a warrant will be issued.
(7) RESTRICTED PARKING FOR COMPACT CARS ONLY. (Rep. #5-92) (Recreated #14-94) No vehicle, except compact cars, shall be parked in the following areas posted as "Compact Cars Only."
The first stall west of the intersection on the southwest corner of South Center Avenue and East Racine Street.
(8) DESIGNATION OF SEMI-TRUCK PARKING IN CITY LOT. (Cr. #14-87) No vehicles, excepting semi-trucks and trailers, shall be allowed to park within the northerly 60' of the City parking lot (parcel #06-14-02-34-57) located adjacent to the Chicago Northwestern Railroad right-of-way, immediately west of the property referenced as 125 N. Main St.
7.04 SPEED LIMITS. (Rep. & Recr. #18-84) (1) 15 M.P.H. Pursuant to (SS)346.57(4)(i), WI Stats., the following streets shall be posted "15 Miles Per Hour When Children are Present".
N. Fifield Ave.
E. Greenwood St. from N. Center Ave. to the top of McMahon's hill.
E. Woolcock St. from N. Center to N. Fifield Ave.
N. Sanborn Ave. from E. Ogden to E. Woolcock St.
E. Ogden St. from N. Wilson to N. Sanborn
S. Jackson Ave. from its intersection with W. Linden Dr. to its intersection with W. Milwaukee St. (Cr. #5-87)
W. Linden Dr. from its intersection with S. Jackson Ave. to its intersection with Willow Dr. (Cr. #5-87)
Willow Dr. from its intersection with W. Linden Dr. to its intersection with S. Taft Ave. (Cr. #5-87)
S. Taft Ave. from its intersection with W. Reed St. to its intersection with W. Milwaukee St. (Cr. #5-87)
W. Reed St. from its intersection with S. Taft Ave. west. (Cr. #5-87)
That portion of any City street or roadway which is within, contiguous or adjacent to a public park. (Cr. #1-85)
(2) 35 M.P.H. (Cr. #25-87; Am. #24-97; Am. #25-97)
N. Dewey Ave. from its intersection with Puerner St., north to the City Limits.
Spangler Road from North Jackson Avenue to its intersection with Crawfish Avenue.
Crawfish Avenue from West Racine Street to Spangler Road.
North Main Street from the north intersection with Puerner Street to the north 2,760'.
(3) The following streets shall be posted "45 M.P.H."
Spangler Road from North Jackson Avenue to its intersection with Pitzner Parkway
Pitzner Parkway from Racine Street to Spangler Road
TRAFFIC CODE 7.06
7.06 REMOVAL OF ILLEGALLY PARKED VEHICLES. (Am. #19-79) (1) The Police Department may remove or cause to be removed any motor vehicle parked in violation of Section 7.03, 7.04 or 7.05 of this Municipal Code.
(2) In addition to any other assessments or costs imposed by this chapter, the owner of any vehicle removed or caused to be removed by the Police Department pursuant to sub. (1) Shall be required to pay the costs of towing and storage at the City garage area shall be $2 per day or any part thereof.
7.07 SNOWMOBILES. (1) STATE SNOWMOBILE LAWS ADOPTED. Except as otherwise specifically provided in this chapter, the statutory provisions describing and defining regulations with respect to snowmobiles in the following enumerated sections of the WI Stats. Are hereby adopted by reference and made a part of this section as if fully set forth herein. Acts required to be performed or prohibited by such statutes are required or prohibited in this section:
350.02 Operation of Snowmobiles on or in the Vicinity of a Highway
350.04 Snowmobile Races, Derbies and Routes
350.045 Public Utility Exemption
350.05 Operation by Youthful Operators Restricted
350.055 Safety Certification Program Established
350.06 Firearms and Bows
350.07 Driving Animals
350.08 Owner Permitting Operation
350.09 Head Lamps, Tail Lamps and Brakes
350.10 Miscellaneous Provisions for Snowmobile Operation
350.12 Registration of Snowmobiles
350.13 Uniform Trail Signs and Standards
350.15 Accident and Accident Reports
350.18 Local Ordinances
350.19 Liability of Landowners
(2) APPLICABILITY OF RULES OF THE ROAD TO SNOWMOBILES. The operator of a snowmobile upon a roadway shall in addition to the provisions of Ch. 350 be subject to (SS)346.04, 346.06, 346.11, 346.14(1), 346.18, 346.19, 346.20, 346.21, 346.26, 346.27, 346.33, 346.35, 346.37, 346.39, 346.40, 346.44, 346.46, 346.47, 346.48, 346.50(1)(b), 346.51, 346.52, 346.53, 346.54, 346.55, 346.87, 346.88, 346.89, 346.90, 346.91, 346.92(1) and 346.94(1), (6), (6m) and (9).
(3) PERMITTING OPERATION BY IMPROPER PERSONS PROHIBITED. No owner having charge or control of a snowmobile shall authorize or permit any person to operate the snowmobile who is not permitted under State Law to operate a snowmobile or who is under the influence of an intoxicant or a dangerous or narcotic drug.
(4) OPERATION WHILE UNDER INFLUENCE PROHIBITED. Sec 346.63, WI Stats., shall apply to the operation of a snowmobile any place within the City.
7.08 OFFICIAL TRAFFIC SIGNS AND SIGNALS. The Police Department shall procure, erect, and maintain official signs and signals giving notice of speed limits, required stops, heavy traffic routes, one-way streets and alleys, prohibited U-turns and parking restrictions.
TRAFFIC CODE 7.09
7.09 PARKING METERS. (1) VEHICLE DEFINED. The word "vehicle" as herein used shall mean any device in, upon, or by which any person or property is or may be transported upon a highway.
(2) PARKING LIMITS. The parking limit shall in all cases be 2 hours, except where otherwise designated by the Police Department. The limited parking time shall apply between 9:00 a.m. to 6:00 p.m. on all days, except that on Saturday it shall apply from 9:00 a.m. to 9:00 p.m. and on Sundays and legal holidays there shall be no parking limit time.
(3) METERS. The City, through its officers and employees, may install or place parking meters in the created zones in the City. Each parking meter shall display the coin required for the use of the meter and the expiration period of time for the person using the meter.
(4) PARKING FEES AND FORFEITURES. A vehicle parked in a designated zone may be legally parked for 2 hours for a 10-cent fee deposited in the parking meter, except in a parking zone for a lesser period of time where the fee shall be the amount declared by the Chief of Police and exhibited on the meter for such area. At the expiration of the time evidenced by the parking meter, any person parking any vehicle in a restricted parking meter zone shall be subject to a forfeiture to the City of $0.50 if deposited within the next 48 hours or, if not paid within this time limit, a forfeiture of $2. (Cr. #3-69)
(5) SUPERVISION AND CONTROL. The supervision, control and direction of the parking meters in the City is granted to the Police Department. The use of tokens, devices, or metallic or other substitutes for lawful coins of the United States is a violation of this section. The fees imposed under this section are especially delegated under the police powers granted by law and are to cover the cost of installation, maintenance and inspection of City parking meters.
7.10 BLOCKING RAILROAD CROSSING PROHIBITED. (Cr. #4-70) (1) No railroad train, locomotive or car shall be stopped and left standing upon any highway or street crossing in the City longer than 5 minutes except in cases of accident.
(2) Any conductor, engineer, brakeman or other person in charge of such train, locomotive, or car, or any person who shall be responsible therefor, who shall violate this section, shall be subject to a penalty as provided in Section 25.04 of this Municipal Code.
7.11 MOTORIZED VEHICLES IN CITY PARKS PROHIBITED. (Cr. #9-77) No person shall operate any motorized vehicle in any City park except upon areas designated as a roadway or for parking. This section shall not apply to person performing maintenance within the City's parks. Any person who shall violate this section shall be subject to a penalty as provided in Section 25.04 of this Municipal Code.
7.12 PASSING ON RIGHT PROHIBITED. (Cr. #10-93) No persons operating a motor vehicle shall pass on the right on South Main Street beginning in the south bound lane from the southwest corner of the intersection of S. Main Street and W. Dodge Street to the northwest corner of the intersection of S. Main Street and W. Rockwell Street; in the north bound lane starting at the southeast corner of the intersection of S. Main Street and Clara Street to the southeast corner of the intersection of S. Main Street and E. Dodge Street except where authorized by State Law at intersections.
7.13 IMPROPER OPERATION OF A MOTOR VEHICLE. (1) This section shall apply to all premises held out to the public for use, whether such premises are publicly or privately owned and whether or not a fee is charged for the use thereof. This section shall not apply to any street or highway.
(2) No person shall operate a motor vehicle on such premises:
(a) Across parking stalls indicated by painted lines.
(b) In a manner commonly referred to as "spinning doughnuts", wherein the vehicle is driven rapidly in a tight circle.
(c) The wrong way in a driving lane where such wrong way is indicated by painted arrow or by the entry angle of adjoining parking stalls, or left of a marked centerline in a driving lane.
TRAFFIC CODE 7.13(2)(d)
(d) Without stopping for a stop sign posted on such premises. The stop required hereunder is defined in (SS) 346.46(2), Wis. Stats.
(e) At a speed in excess of posted limits.
(f) At a speed greater than is reasonable and prudent under the conditions and having regard for the actual and potential hazards then existing. The speed of a vehicle shall be so controlled as may be necessary to avoid colliding with any object, person, vehicle or other conveyance on such premises and in compliance with legal requirements and using due care.
(3) No person shall park, stop, or leave any vehicle standing, whether attended or unattended and whether temporarily or otherwise, upon any of the following designated areas of such premises:
(a) Upon any portion of such premises where stopping or standing is prohibited by appropriate signs indicating the prohibition of any stopping or standing.
(b) Except for a motor vehicle used by a physically disabled person as defined under (SS) 346.503(1), upon any portion of such premises reserved by official traffic signs indicating the restriction to vehicles used by a physically disabled person.
7.14 USE OF IN-LINE SKATES REGULATED. (1) "In-line skates" means skates with wheels arranged singly in a tandem line rather than in pairs.
(3) Persons riding on in-line skates on a roadway shall ride single file on all roadways.
(4) No person may ride on in-line skates upon a roadway where a sign is erected indicating that in-line skate riding is prohibited.
(5) Every person riding on in-line skates shall, upon entering on a highway, yield the right-of-way to motor vehicles.
(6) A person riding on in-line skates on a roadway shall not impede motor vehicle traffic to said person's rear. If inadequate space exists for operation of motor vehicles and the person riding on in-line skates to proceed in the same direction upon any roadway in the city, then the person riding upon in-line skates shall, upon the approach of a motor vehicle from the rear, move as far to the side of the road as possible and stop if necessary, so as to permit adequate room for the motor vehicle traffic to pass said person riding on in-line skates without leaving the lane in which said motor vehicle traffic is traveling.
(7) (Am. #15-95) No person shall ride upon in-line skates on the traveled portion of the roadway or on the sidewalks in the downtown business district which shall be defined for the purposes of this section as the north two block of South Main Street, the west two blocks of East Racine Street, and the south one block of North Main Street.
(8) No parent or guardian of any child shall authorize or knowingly permit such child to violate any of the provisions of this ordinance.
(9) (Recr. #15-95) No person shall ride upon in-line skates on the traveled portion of any street or road between the hours commencing one half hour past sunset and terminating one half hour before sunrise unless said person carries a light visible from a distance of at least 300 feet to the front of said person and a red reflector visible from at least 300 feet to rear of said person.
TRAFFIC CODE 7.14(10)
(10) (Renum. #15-95) Any person violating this section shall forfeit not less than $10 nor more than $20 for the first offense, and not less than $25 nor more than $50 for the second or subsequent conviction within a year.
7.20 PENALTIES. (Am. #13-82) Except as otherwise provided, the penalty for violation of any provision of this chapter shall be a forfeiture as provided in this section together with costs under (SS)345.27, WI Stats., and a penalty assessment under (SS)165.87, WI Stats.
(1) STATE FORFEITURE STATUTES. Any forfeiture for violation of the State Statutes adopted by reference in (SS)7.01 shall conform to the forfeiture permitted to be imposed for violation of such statutes as set forth in the Uniform Deposit and Misdemeanor Bail Schedule of the Wisconsin Judicial Conference, including any variations or increases for subsequent offenses, which schedule is adopted be reference.
(2) STATE FINE STATUTE. The forfeiture for violation of any statute adopted by reference thereunder for which the penalty is a fine shall not exceed the maximum fine permitted under such statute.
7.21 ENFORCEMENT. (1) ENFORCEMENT PROCEDURE. (Am. #3-83) This chapter shall be enforced according to (SS)23.33, 66.12, 345.11, 350.17, and Ch. 799, WI Stats.
1. If the person makes a deposit for a violation of a traffic regulation, the person need not appear in court at the time fixed in the citation and the person will be deemed to have tendered a plea of no contest and submitted to forfeiture and penalty assessment if required by (SS)165.87, WI Stats., a jail assessment if required by (SS)53.46(1), WI Stats., plus any applicable fees prescribed in Ch. 814, WI Stats., not to exceed the amount of the deposit that the court may accept as provided in (SS)345.37, WI Stats.
2. If the person fails to make a deposit for a violation of a traffic regulation or appear in court at the time fixed in the citation, the court may enter a default judgment finding that person guilty of the offense or issue a warrant for his arrest.
(b) The amount of the deposit shall be determined in accordance with the deposit schedule established by the Wisconsin Judicial Conference and shall include the penalty assessment under (SS)165.87, WI Stats., and jail assessment if required by (SS)53.46(1), WI Stats., costs
(c) The arresting officer or the person receiving the deposit shall issue the arrested person a receipt therefor as required by (SS)345.26(3)(b).
(3) PETITION TO REOPEN JUDGMENT. Whenever a person has been convicted in this State on the basis of a forfeiture of deposit or a plea of guilty or no contest and the person was not informed as required under (SS)345.27(1) and (2), WI Stats., the person may, within 60 days after being notified of the revocation or suspension of the operating privilege, petition the court to reopen the judgment and grant him an opportunity to defend on merits. If the court finds that the petitioner was not informed as required under (SS)345.27(1) and (2), the court shall order the judgment reopened. The court order reopening the judgment automatically reinstates the revoked or suspended operating privilege.